Saturday, November 26, 2011

Studio Sale and Home Tour, December 3, 10, & 17



That's right. We are finally back in our house after more than six months. There have been so many times that I've wished I could update my blog, but in the past six months, I have not had even one day, except Sundays, that I have not worked less than 14 hours, and usually fell into my bed, exhausted. But the work has finally paid off and I want to show you all. So, come to one of the open houses. Consider this your invitation. But if you would like to receive the newsletter, just click on my email and drop me a line, just letting me know you would like to be added to the email list.
So, here's the deal.

Wild Rooster Studio Sale and Home Tour
December 3, 10, 17
9am-5pm
1150 East 800 South
Salt Lake City, Utah

For the past ten years, I have been holding an annual studio sale here at my studio.
This year, we decided to try something we have never done before and open our home to those
who come to look at the pots. One of the coolest new features in our home is the 500 square feet
of handmade tile that I have just installed. It includes tiles made over the past ten year--quite
literally thousands of pieces. It took me nearly a month to lay all the tile in our home. Why, you
might ask would I do such a thing? Well, I'm an artist. I'm crazy and I really love it when people
spend a little extra time making the otherwise mundane, beautiful. The picture above is one of the
back splashes in the kitchen, but I have also made tile for the fireplace and hearth, the showers
the floors, the stairs, an entire bathroom we call the "Potter's Potty", the laundry, etc, etc. There
are lots of people who live with art, but not many people get to live in the middle of art. Taking
my inspiration from artists like Hundertwasser, Gaudi, and Rodier, and such places as Watts Towers
and Gilgal Gardens, I have turned my home into a living piece of art that I hope will inspire creative
children.
Since we have never done such an open house before, we don't know how it will go and don't
know if this is a good idea or not, so we are going to go for it and see if we need to change plans
in the future. Our purpose for doing this is to try to inspire people to be a bit more creative and
imaginative. You may not be able to do what we have done, but we are all capable of doing
something that will add charm to this old world. I feel that the creation of beauty is one of the
most important things we can do in this life.
Our project has taken six months of labor, several years of planning and a decent amount
of money, and though it took us longer than we thought it would, we are still under budget.
This would definitely not be the case had I not done much of the work myself. The project is still
not complete. Some of this will take place in the next week. Much more of it will have to take
place in the next year, but the house is livable and we have been living here for just over a week.
I am falling asleep and will finish this tomorrow, which is really today, just later. Remind me
about the big announcement I've been dying to make.

No comments: