Friday, June 8, 2012

Niederbipp Goes Full Circle

I received an interesting phone call from Tiengen, Germany last week. My friend Irene Meier, the woman with whom I apprenticed for four months 17 years ago was on the line to tell me that a woman had come into her pottery shop that day with my book in her hand, asking if she knew me.  For those of you who may not be aware, the town I describe as Niederbipp is actually the town of Tiengen, Germany. Niederbipp just had a better name. This woman had been in my shop a few weeks ago, visiting from Seattle and told me she was on her way to Switzerland and was planning on stopping by the real Niederbipp. I suggested she would have more fun going to Tiengen. Anyway, she spent the evening with Irene and her husband Sven. They had dinner together, walked around the town and Irene even took her to the crying tree on the banks of the Rhein.  It is a beautiful place and I would highly recommend visiting it if you are in the Switzerland/Southern Germany area. Stop by the pottery on Zubergasse and you will meet Irene. She may offer you some tea and you can sit down and talk about life and art. It was fun to see that the world is still flat, and not very big.
 I am writing, or pretending to, but I am busy trying to get ready for the Utah Arts Festival which begins on the 21st. I have a lot to do between now and then--many, many pots to fire. I had to rebuild the kiln door after Mother's Day--it got a little too hot and melted, but the kiln is firing well again and I am happy to report there will be lots of new pots and designs at the festival--if all goes as planned. Wish me luck.  Maybe I will see you there.  June 21-24 at Library Square, downtown SLC

No comments: