Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bookends--Announcing "Borrowing Fire!"

Two years ago when I began writing this new book, the first funeral I attended as part of my research was for a 36 year-old classmate. The funeral was held at a huge church, and the crowd that filled it was even bigger. Over the next two years, I attended 57 other funerals and today I attended my 59th funeral. This one was for another classmate, a kid I grew up with, Brian Condie. He was actually two years younger than me, only 36 years old, the victim of colon cancer. He leaves behind a beautiful wife and two charming little girls. But boy, did he know how to live! In his short 36 years, he got it right. He knew how to laugh and how to love, and he knew how to live. The messages shared by his family and his clergy were inspiring. I laughed and I cried, knowing I would never see him again in mortality. The church was filled beyond capacity, and it just so happens that it was held at the same church where my research began two years ago. In the two years since I started all this, I have never been back to this church until today.

Just as I was leaving the church, I got a phone call. It was my printer. The cover of the book needed to be approved for printing. Some may see all of this as coincidental. I can't. Somewhere, there is a grand plan for all of this. I am grateful to be a player in this vast game of life.
So, we are on schedule for the new book to be delivered in time for the December 1st open house, here at the studio. I will write more about the open house later, but it will be held the first three Saturday's in December—December 1, 8, 15 from 10-5 each Saturday, at 1150 East 800 South in Salt Lake City. We will also be opening our home again for the home tour on those Saturdays. If those dates don't work for you, the studio will be open through Dec 21, everyday except Sunday. Pots and all of my books will be available for purchase, until I run out. You can call me to make sure I am around if you are coming outside of the scheduled open houses. 801-883-0146. The home tour will unfortunately only be available on the Saturdays. Last year we had more than a thousand people go through our home. If you want to avoid the crowd and are not interested in seeing our home, come during the week to get your pots and books.

Like the books in the Niederbipp Trilogy, "Borrowing Fire" is a book filled with hope. There is humor and elements of spirituality and philosophy, but it is a fun read. I was reading it to my kids the other night and after about a half hour, my son Isaac said, "Dad, this book is way better than your first one." I think everyone who has read this new book have enjoyed it at least as well as the Niederbipp books and many have said they liked this one even better.

Beginning next week, Borrowing Fire will be available for pre-order on Amazon.com. I will post a link as soon as it is available. During the holiday season and for the foreseeable future, the book will only be available from my studio and Amazon. Don't ask me why. I am trying to think up something smart, but nothing is coming to me.

So that's it for tonight, I will posting more soon. I need to finish my newsletter so it can get out by next week. If you would like to receive a copy via email, please click here, benbehunin@comcast.net and say "add me to your list."

I can't wait to share the new book with you. You're going to love it!

Cheers,  Ben


No comments: